Saturday, June 23, 2007

Round 5

I received news that the spot on my thyroid they saw on the CT scan is signs of a goiter not a tumor or cyst.
Monday when I went to the center just to have my blood counts checked I showed my nurse who administers the chemo a bruised looking vein on the back of my knee that was sore. She right away called someone and scheduled an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. Well, it showed I have a small Deep Vein Thrombosis starting. Which is a blood clot. So now Paul has been giving me shots every day. I'll find out more in two days what is to come out of all of that.
Well round 5 was better than round 4 but just as bad as the past treatments.
My brother and sister in law took Emily and James for 3 nights. That was a big help and they enjoyed being with there cousins. Rachel stayed home because she had cheer leading camp. Friends took her one night and another friend had her swimming all day another day. My parents left for Alaska on the Sunday before Round 5. They have since returned. Our exchange student Amy left on Thursday of Round 5. Fathers Day was spent at home with my brother Dana and sister in law Deb coming over. I can't be in the sun, so we couldn't go to the beach. And they couldn't go to the beach because their son couldn't go swimming because he has close to 100 stitches in his leg from a baseball accident. So we stayed home and grilled out in the muggy hot weather. But it was nice.
This Monday is my last round of this type of Chemo. After this I should have 4 rounds of another type. I always get updated at my doctors appointment before I receive treatment.
My biggest complaint during my good week is ; I have sores in my mouth. They are under my tongue, on my gums, in my throat. I have medicine called BMX (Benedryl, Maalox, and something else.)that numbs the sores so I can eat. But there is no joy in food. I can't taste it!
This week the kids have an afternoon class they are each taking thru school. Rachel is taking a science class, Emily is taking cooking, and James is taking Jungle Journey. James also will be participating in Soccer camp in the evening. Emily just finished a week worth of basketball camp.
Paul is still keeping up with all he needs to around the house and with the kids.

Even one more round doesn't sound great to me but it is only one more bad week. YUCK!
I do know that with out all of you I would have not been able to cope with all this.
Thank you is due but it could never do enough to show my appreciation!
Hopefully I will be online and happy enough to update you in 7 days. Until then...
Love Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your last round of this treatment. You have been an inspiration to all that have seen this blog.
May your new treatment be as gentle as your smile, completed quicker than your last no hitter, and as strong as your faith.

Anonymous said...

I have had four heavy duty treatments that were pretty hard on my body.Right now I am going to be getting my fourth taxatere treatment next week.My doctor wants me to do another eight or so treatments. I am hoping that my body will be up to all the reactions. I have been taking meds so I do not get the upset stomachs.I have lost almost all the rough skin on my feet and hands. I am putting bag bum on my feet to keep them from getting sore. For your mouth switch warm salt water in your mouth after you eat.It does help. I hope your treatments go better for you and do not be afraid to let the doctor know how you are doing, they can help. take care MAB