Sunday, May 20, 2007

Round #3

It doesn't seem like 12 days have passed since I lasted posted something. Sorry about that.
I'll try to remember things since the 8Th of May to catch you up. I do have the "chemo brain" so you'll have to excuse me if I can't remember much.
Between the 8Th and the 11Th I had very good days. Ate for loss days from the week before. I think I lose 2-4 pounds my chemo week and end up gaining it back my non-chemo week. On the 12Th we spent the evening around a campfire and Jack and Lois', (my parents) for Mother's Day. It was relaxing. On Sunday the kids gave me a real nice lounge chair for the deck. Now I want to find an umbrella that has a base on it. Our neighbors recently bought one. I need to be in the shade and there isn't any in our back yard. The kids will be in the pool soon. We also celebrated two nieces birthday's and our Aunt Junes house and that was nice too.
Then back to reality. Round 3 of Chemo was Monday the 14Th. I see the doctor prior to every treatment. Dr. Campbell is my oncologist. He thought that the tumor has shrunk. And I agreed. I questioned how many treatments I will have and he said for now his plan is for me too have 6 rounds of the current chemo I am taking and then 4 rounds of another mix of chemo. I was happy with that answer because it is 2 rounds less that what he said in the beginning. The last four rounds in a different mix to try to trick those cancer cells that may a little different but still cancerous. More or less the stubborn ones. So I was happy when I left to his office. By the time I was in my chair to receive treatment my mood changed drastically. My nurse told me that the doctor wrote orders to increase my dosage of chemo. Kelly was not a happy camper! My port is a pest. The nurse has to get a blood return before she can start any IV and mine has not without having me wait 15 minutes. That always puts me behind on the schedule. Well to say the least it was a bad week. I'm sure the fluids that I received on Tuesday helped. I probably would have felt worse without it. I still get a real bad head ache starting on Tues evening and lasting through Wednesday. Friday I started to feel better, but Saturday was more like my Friday's of the past.

Rachel broke her arm on Monday of Round 3. She was riding her bike and fell off. Dad and her spent 6 1/2 hours at ER. We see the orthopedic doctor on Thursday for her. Her hand was too swollen for them to cast it. She had a rough week with the pain but she pulled through and even participated in her GIRLS ON THE RUN 5k race on Saturday. We were real proud that she finished because she has had trouble with her foot for so long. But she jogged and walked and she was real proud of herself.
Emily and James and Paul are doing great. We signed the kids up for some summer activities. School is almost done for the year.


Round 4 shall be interesting. The office is closed on MEMORIAL DAY. YEAH! However all the patients that normally go on Monday's will be seen on Tuesday along with all the Tuesday Patients. HOW IS THAT GOING TO WORK! I will also request my old dosage. I can at least ask right?

This week is full of appointments. Monday I see the surgeon. Wednesday I see the thyroid surgeon and Thursday Rachel has her appointment.

Thanks for the prayers. I know there are a lot of you out there saying them. I know all of them help me feel better.

The great love of GOD is an ocean without a bottom or a shore. C.H. Spurgeon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly I love your blogs....You are in my prayers every day! I click on the breast cancer site to fund for free monograms every day, hopefully someone will benefit from this. Keep your chin up, my aunt just finished her last chemo is starting to feel better. I know you will be done in just 10 wonderful treatments and then you will be through this!
~Mrs. Sheldon :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly, just wanted to say hi and I hope you are doing okay today. It was so good to see you at the RSVP dinner. Sorry to hear about Rachael breaking her arm. I guess there is some truth to that old saying, When it rains, it pours...

Enjoy this nice long holiday weekend with your family and don't think about next Tuesday until you are in the car on the way there.

Love always, Deb Visser

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Just recently heard your news. You and your family are in my daily thoughts and prayers!! I ran into Paula and she passed along your blog spot to me. I wholeheartedly wish you well and extend my suport to you during this tough time.
Cheryl (Lannon) Johnson

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kelly. Just wanted to let you know that we have not forotten about you. We will continue to pray for healing and peace for you. Please let us know what we can do.

KIP & JILL