Friday, February 11, 2011

First Chemo Treatment

I arrived at my first Chemo treatment after a slow down on 131 due to an accident.  My taxi got me there via division pretty quickly after that bump in the road.  Good job Melissa! My appointment was at 9 am.  However I wasn't called to the lab area until 9:20.  They need to do blood work first to make sure your red and white blood cells are at normal range to due the treatment.  Then the pharmacy has to have those results before them make your personal concoction. During this time you are back to the waiting area.  At about 10 or after I was called to the Chemo area.  In this area you have a personal partion with a reclining chair, cubby for personal belongings and a tv. Warm blankets and pillows are offered too.  My nurse came to me about 1045.  I think that is a generous time.  I think it was later.  At this time she access my port and started a saline bag for extra fluids.  Then I take Tylenol orally and receive Benadryl by IV.  After the Benadryl is done dripping I was given the Herceptin Drug.  That lasts an hour and a half.  After that was done I had to listen to the IV pole beeping , hit my nurses button, and wait for the next drug.  Then she came and gave me a steroid and anti nausea med through the IV.  After those were done dripping she started the Chemo drug.  It had to be given at the slowest rate to start in case of an allergic reaction.  And she had to watch me for reaction.  Then she sped the drip of the IV up every 15 minutes until 45 minutes passed. Then I was on full tilt. I was done at 3pm  However I asked for a copy of my lab work and that took 30 minutes.  So I got home at 4pm.

 That is a long Day.  I laid on the coach until our dinner arrived.  I ate good I  thought.  After dinner, I laid on the couch and dozed off and on -5 minutes here and there. I wanted to stay awake as much as I could because I haven't been sleeping all that good.  I made it to 1030.  However I was up at 1 until 430. Then I was up with the kids at 6:00.  Now I'm updating this blog and I will be going to bed. 

How am I feeling you ask?  The best I can describe is like this....and I get this description from a guy I use to work with.....I've felt worse and I've felt better.  He use to say...I've seen worse and I've seen better when I would ask if he thought something looked okay... Good ol Porfideo.  I use to hate when he said that.  Now it comes in handy.  I have a great head ache. That started before I went to bed so I know it's not just from lack of sleep.  Then I feel like I'm full of junk....which I am.  But that's the best I can describe it to you.  And a little joint pain too.   There's my complaining. I'm done with that.

I was asked to give a shout to someone on my blog and I said I would but I decided that I'm adding a stipulation to that.  You have to post a comment on my blog to get a shout out back.  And this starts as of today.  So if you post a comment on my blog you may get your name mentioned in my blog.  OOOOOO.
Thanks for all the prayers and support.

Kelly
We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails. ~Author Unknown

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continue to fight the good fight, for you and for all. For what they said on the Hill is that one day cancer will fall. It is not right, not fair this cross that you bear but remember that you are always in our prayers.

Barb said...

Kelly,I wish your day had not been so long... I was thinking of you all day and want you to know I love ya and hope the days ahead are good.

Anonymous said...

hi Kell

Unknown said...

The things I have to go thru to get a shout out lol. It was nice seeing you today. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! Tell the kids I say hi and miss em.

Unknown said...

Kelly....we dont know each other very well but I just found out what all you've been going thru and the best thing you can do is keep this awesome attitude you have. Trust me....my mom past away on Dec 31, 09 and she had the worse attitude. Every doctor was an a&& and every nurse was a female dog. My girl friend on the other hand has/had the same attitude as you do and she fought it and fought it hard. I feel She's still here because of it. NOW you go and hit it head on. Your friends & family will be here to pick you when you need them and they are always in your corner. Go get Em Kelly....I know you can!!

Anonymous said...

Kelly
The author to:
"We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails" is Bertha Calloway.
Any way, hang in there girl, may God be with you through this tough journey.
Robert

Unknown said...

Hi Pail......:)

Anonymous said...

HI kelly
I just wanted you to know my thoughts & prayers are with you today and always.
Miss ya at work :)
-Ranae

Anonymous said...

Please know you are in my prayers Kelly! Hope you feel them. Oh, by the way, I love the blonde hair. Looks great!

Love ya,

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Please know you are in my prayers Kelly! Hope you feel them. Oh, by the way, I love the blonde hair. Looks great!

Love ya,

Sharon